Monday, June 14, 2010

I told you, I'm not a writer...

I am a thinker. I could sit on a mountaintop or walk the streets in solitude and think for hours on end. The Lord reveals so much to me in time spent just dwelling on Him and the truth of His Word. There is a constant swirl of ideas and thoughts roaming around up in the old attic.

But as much as I love thinking, I despise writing. I find myself articulate deep within, but the eloquence is somehow lost in the process of outward expression. In fact, when it comes to writing, I am left quite _________. Nonetheless, I have an inkling that there is something sacred about the written word in general, which I have yet to discover...

Several days ago, I was listening to a sermon on the life of Paul. And then it hit me. If Paul had never have been in prison, he most likely would not have had the time to WRITE to the churches in Ephesus, Corinth, Colossia, Thessalonica, Philippi, and Galatia. Had he not WRITTEN them, we would be without much of the New Testament, and a bulk of the epistles.

And then I thought: What of God? Is it not in His nature to reveal Himself through the written word? God HAS communicated with us in such a way. Indeed, this gives value to the written word, since His Word is inherently…written.

What a holy thing it is to write.

And so, despite my protests, I have decided to do so. I will write. To whom? To you, if will be so brave. But I will not write so much for your benefit as for my own.

No comments: