Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sean and Sean

Not too long ago, I saw an old John Wayne called The Silent Man, which is set (and filmed) in the beauties of Ireland. Not your typical Wayne film, one might argue, but a classic nonetheless. Maureen O'Hara plays the supporting role, and both do a descent job--I'd highly recommend it.

As I watched one of the long-ish fight scenes in the quaint town pub, a face and a voice from the background caught my attention. It seemed I'd seen that face, and heard that voice before.

I don't know about you, but whenever I recognize an actor, it possesses me. Once I sense that eerie familiarity, I can't think of anything else until I've discovered the connection. So I watched for him even more intently in the shadows. After another line or two, I realised that he resembled, in face and in action, someone I'd seen recently in another movie.

And then it came to me. Sean Astin! (After his role as Samwise Gamgee in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I'd know him anywhere.) But wait! This film was made quite some time ago, and Sean Astin is much too young to have been cast amongst the likes of John Wayne. (It's less likely he was even born when the movie was made.)

And so, I took it upon myself to search for this nameless fellow, whose role had been even too insignificant to be listed among the credits in the film. After an hour or so of googling and IMDBing, I finally found him.

So, you must be wondering...who IS the man? Sean...Sean McClory. (Odd that they should share the same name, don't you think?) I don't know. Maybe you think I'm crazy. You'll simply have to see for yourself.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, I read your "about" section, and it was like reading about myself, which was a little freaky! I enjoyed reading your blog, and found it through the Rabbit Room. Hope you had a great
Thanksgiving!